Frequently Asked Questions

The following sections are divided into the most common topics student ask at UB.

Academic Advising Questions

How often should I make an appointment to see an advisor?

You should make an appointment with your academic advisor at least once a semester. Some departments and some programs require that students see their advisor more frequently. You should check with your advisor about their policy.

How do I make an appointment with an advisor?

Look in your HUB Student Center to locate your academic advisor/advisement center. You can also use the Advising Directory to find contact information for your academic unit and advisor.

I understand that I can withdraw from courses. How does that work?

If you have an extenuating circumstance that is impacting your academic performance you should speak with an academic advisor immediately. Extenuating circumstances would include medical problems, death or illness of an immediate family member, or military orders. Documentation is required to submit a Withdrawal petition and there are application deadlines.

Degree Requirements Questions

What are the requirements to graduate?

You must complete the UB Curriculum (general education) requirements, the requirements for your major (including GPA requirements), obtain at least 120 credits, and have a grade point average of at least 2.0. Your personalized Academic Advisement Report will provide ongoing information about how far along you are toward your degree.

Can I graduate with 119 credits?

No, you cannot graduate with fewer than 120 credits. This is an absolute minimum.

Is World Civilization required for the UB Curriculum (general education) requirement?

In general, students who entered UB before fall 2016 were required to complete the World Civilization requirement, however, requirements may differ by student status.

Students enrolled fall 2016 and after are not required to take the World Civilization requirement, they follow the UB Curriculum (general education) requirements.

It is best to meet with an academic advisor to review your requirements.

Can I obtain two different degrees at the same time?

Yes you can, if the fields of study are significantly different. If you wish to obtain two different degrees, such as BA, BS, BFA, or Mus.B., you will have to complete the requirements for each major and obtain a minimum of 30 credits accrued beyond the first degree or 150 credits total, whichever is greater.

It is important that you meet with an academic advisor early in your undergraduate career to review your academic plan to be sure that you are intending to pursue significantly different fields of study. See the Undergraduate Degree & Course Catalog for the rules for combining majors.


  • Acceptable: BA English/BS Biology, BFA Music/BS Biochemistry
  • Unacceptable: BA Psychology/BS Psychology, BS Mechanical Engineering/BS Aerospace Engineering
Can I take a graduate course and have the credits apply to my undergraduate degree?

Yes, you can under certain circumstances. The eligibility criteria can be found in the Registration in Graduate Course for Undergraduate Credit section of the Undergraduate Degree & Course Catalog. Completion of the Petition for Course Credit Outside Your Primary Academic Career (PDF) form is also required. The department offering the course will implement the registration only when permission is granted. Consult with your academic advisor for more information.

Grading Questions

Can I take a course over for a better grade?

A student may repeat a course to replace a failing grade, a resignation, or to seek to improve the student’s record when the student’s first enrollment resulted in a passing grade. However several conditions apply, for complete information review the Repeat Policy in the Undergraduate Degree & Course Catalog and consult an academic advisor.

Students should be aware of the Course Enrollment Control Policy, which restricts repeating courses that have been identified as controlled enrollment (impacted).

Can I take a course on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis?

If the course is required for your major or required to fulfill UB Curriculum (General Education) requirements, you may not take the course on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading basis.

I have taken a course on an S/U basis and now I realize that it is a requirement. What can I do?

In certain instances students may recover the letter grade earned in a course graded S/U. Once recovered, the letter grade will stand; that is, the student will not be able to change back to S/U grading. Complete information about Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading can be found in the Explanation of Grades section of the Undergraduate Degree & Course Catalog.

How do I get an Incomplete grade in a course?

Incomplete grades are given by the instructor of the course. Students usually have to have completed a portion of the coursework and have a passing grade in the course to be granted an Incomplete. Students have a limited period of time (12 months) to complete the course.

You should NOT reregister for the course but follow the instructor’s direction. It is at the instructor’s discretion to grant you a grade of incomplete. For further information review the Explanation of Grades — Incomplete Grades section of the Undergraduate Degree & Course Catalog.

What is the difference between my UB grade point average and my overall grade point average?

Your overall grade point average includes all college credit completed (both UB & any transfer course grades). Your UB grade point average includes only grades from coursework completed at UB. To graduate from UB both your UB and overall grade point average must be at least a 2.0.

If I do coursework at another college, will I get the credit and does the grade count?

Course credits earned at accredited institutions as defined in the Undergraduate Degree & Course Catalog Transfer Credit Policy can, generally, be accepted. Faculty approved articulation will determine how the credits may be applied to your degree requirements. You will see the application of transferred course work in your Transfer Credit Report.

If you are considering taking courses elsewhere to complete requirements you should consult the UB Course Equivalencies Guide to view existing course articulation. You should also speak, in advance, with your advisor. While the grades for transferred course work will not affect your UB grade point average, these grades will be a part of your transfer grade point average and your overall grade point average (which includes both your credits at UB and your average at other colleges you have attended).

Major Questions

How do I decide on a major?

Research the many options available at UB using the Undergraduate Degree & Course Catalog Academic Programs, think about what you enjoy doing and realistically consider the areas in which you excel.

Work with your academic advisor and an advisor from the Career Design Center to discover the array of job opportunities for each of your choices. If you have two areas that seem right for you, consider two majors or a major and a minor.

Review the Choosing Your Major information for further assistance.

How do I find out the requirements for being accepted into a major?

Review the Acceptance Criteria for the major you are interested in applying to, this information can be found in the Degrees & Policies section of the Undergraduate Degree & Course Catalog for each Academic Program (major) offered at UB. You can also visit the academic department directly, and talk with your academic advisor.

How do I apply to my major?

Some majors admit freshmen concurrent with admission to the university. For others, admission to a major occurs after enrollment and completion of some coursework.

Depending on the major, you are eligible to apply to a department when you have successfully completed or are in the process of successfully completing all of the prerequisite courses required for that major. It is strongly recommended that you be accepted into a major upon the completion of 45 credit hours. All students are required to be accepted into a major by the completion of 60 credit hours.

For further information review the Applying to Your UB Major & Minor information.

What is Special Studies?

It is possible to create your own major (Special Studies) with the guidance of two faculty members and an academic advisor. To familiarize yourself with the guidelines and steps necessary to complete the program review the Special Studies information and then consult with the special studies advisor in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Can I major in two different departments?

Yes you can. You will have to complete the requirements for each major. You can also major in one department and do a minor in another department. Further information can be found in the Major Requirement/ University Degree Requirements section of the Undergraduate Degree & Course Catalog.

What can I do with a major in Biology, or Art, or Philosophy…?

You may be surprised by the type of jobs that are out there for people who have degrees in many of these areas. You should consult with Career Design Center, an academic advisor and a faculty member. You will also find career information in the Undergraduate Degree and Course Catalog Degrees & Programs for each major.

Enrollment (Registration) Questions

How many credits should I take each term?

You should be careful to not overload yourself in any one term. If you take an average of 15 credits each term for eight terms you will have the required 120 credits. If you complete fewer than 15 credits a term, consider enrolling in summer or winter session courses.

I want to take more than 19 credits in a term. How do I get permission to do this?

Registering for more than 19 credits (for a fall or spring term) or 14 credits (for a summer term) requires the approval of an academic advisor. It is recommended that you be in good academic standing and have at least a 2.5 or higher overall grade point average. Further information about class registration is also available on the Registrar website.

I want to resign from a course. How do I do it?

You may resign from your coursework by using the HUB Student Center via MyUB. If you would like to resign from a course, it is recommended that you first speak with an academic advisor and financial aid advisor to understand how resigning from a course could potentially affect your academic and/or financial status.

There are deadline dates within each semester for resigning a course, consult the Student Academic Calendars for semester deadlines. Prior to resigning a course you should also determine if the course is identified under the Course Enrollment Control Policy, these courses have limited future enrollment possibilities.

Technology Questions

What is MyUB and how does it differ from UBLearns?

MyUB is a web-based, personal portal to UB’s online resources. It provides links to important UB information and tools (like email, the HUB Student Center, etc.). “Views” of MyUB are available for various audiences: faculty, staff and students. In addition, it delivers customized information based upon the academic profile and interests of individual users.

UBlearns is a web-based course management and delivery application using the e-Learning software platform known as “Blackboard.” It is the center of the university’s online learning system. UBlearns is where faculty post course documents and PowerPoint presentations, host discussion boards or post links to websites that relate to information relevant to their course. They may even use UBlearns to give assignments and tests.

Both of these online tools are valuable and should be checked on a regular basis.

I get mail from my professor and sometimes my advisor via UBLearns. Why do I need to read my UB email?

UBLearns is one way that communication reaches you as a student, but many important and official communications to students are sent to their university email address.

Some examples of official university communications that are sent via email: Mid Term Review evaluations, Academic Warning and Academic Probation notices and lack of Satisfactory Academic Progress to receive financial aid. So it’s wise to check both on a regular basis.

What is the HUB Student Center?

The HUB Student Center is UB’s student services website where students have one-stop access to academic, financial and university account transactions. Students access their HUB Student Center via a tab in MyUB.

Last updated: April 19, 2021 1:02 pm EST

University at Buffalo Academic Advisement Vision Statement: To empower students to be active, responsible learners who take full advantage of the many opportunities the university provides in the areas of academics, research, and community and global engagement.