Planning for course registration keeps you on track for graduation, helps to give you the best choice of classes and class times, and helps you to avoid fees associated with late registration. It is in your best interest to enroll in classes as soon as you are able to register.
When do I register for classes?
Your Enrollment Appointment will appear in the Enrollment Dates channel of your HUB Student Center (accessed through MyUB) about a month before enrollment begins. Enrollment begins in late March/early April for fall registration and late October/early November for spring registration.
The earlier you register for classes, the more choices you will have!
Be prepared to register when your Enrollment Appointment begins:
- Resolve any Holds you may have. Most Holds will prevent you from registering for the next term. Review the View Holds tutorial for more information.
- Search for upcoming classes using the Manage Classes tile - Class Search link in your HUB Student Center. Review the Search for Classes tutorial for more information.
What courses do I need to take?
To stay on track toward timely graduation, students should review the following advising tools before each enrollment cycle and register for courses that satisfy major and UB Curriculum requirements.
- Academic Advisement Report (AAR) tracks students’ progress towards completing major and UB Curriculum requirements. To access your AAR, review the Viewing your Academic Advisement Report tutorial.
- Transfer Credit Report (TCR) is used in conjunction with the Academic Advisement Report to track progress towards completing university degree requirements. The TCR lists incoming courses, credits, and grades along with UB course equivalencies. For instructions on how to generate and understand a TCR, review the Viewing Transfer Credit Report tutorial.
- Undergraduate Degree & Course Catalog Curricular Plans exist for every major at UB. These plans list all required courses needed to complete the degree. View a Curricular Plan by selecting a major from the Degrees & Programs tab in the catalog. The "Curricular Plan" tab is across the top of the page.
- Path Finder aids in the selection of UB Curriculum Pathway courses (available for students enrolled fall 2016 and after). Students access the Path Finder through a link on their Academic Advisement Report (AAR) or via the Academic Progress tile of their HUB Student Center. When using the Path Finder, be sure to save your courses to HUB by selecting the Save to HUB button in the upper right hand corner of the Path Finder page.
- Planner allows students to plan courses based on their requirements for an individual semester, multiple semesters or for their entire program of study.
- Schedule Builder allows students to search for courses and plan their schedule. Students can also import classes directly from their Planner.
Considering changing your major?
If you are contemplating changing your major, speak to your academic advisor and a career counselor. The What-if Advisement Report gives you the ability to run a simulated Academic Advisement Report (AAR) that compares your transcript against a proposed major, which serves as a valuable resource when considering changing majors. The report is accessed through your HUB Student Center - Academic Progress tile.
Connect with your academic advisor and career counselor:
- Your academic advisor helps you explore majors and understand the requirements for your major and your UB Curriculum requirements. Contact your academic advisor at least two weeks before your Enrollment Appointment date to schedule an appointment. Locate your academic advisor via your HUB Student Center - Academic Progress tile or use Navigate. If you are changing majors, locate the appropriate advising unit using the Advising Directory.
- A career counselor helps you explore majors and related careers, find internships and jobs, and prepare for the world of work. Contact the Career Design Center to schedule an appointment with a career counselor.
Prior to your Enrollment Appointment, your Shopping Cart will become available. Your Shopping Cart allows you to place classes you would like to take into your cart and validate them to see if there are any time conflicts, requisites (courses that need to be taken prior to or with another course) and unit-limit issues.
- You can import your complete schedule of courses and times from Schedule Builder to your Shopping Cart.
- You may have put courses in your Shopping Cart weeks before enrollment begins, so check to ensure the courses you plan to take are still open before you enroll.
Finish Enrolling in HUB
Placing courses in your Shopping Cart does not mean you are enrolled in classes! Be sure to click the “Finish Enrolling” button and view your results.
- Pay attention if you received any error reports when enrolling and seek help if you have questions.
- View/print your schedule.Talk to your advisor to review your classes and ensure you are on track to complete your major and graduate on time.
- Just before classes begin, check your schedule for last minute changes, including room location changes.
- If you need to adjust your schedule, be aware of continued eligibility requirements for state and federal financial aid and the registration deadline dates associated with Adding, Dropping and Resigning Courses.
To graduate on time and remain eligible for financial aid, students need to complete at least 30 credits a year (15 credits a semester) to reach 120 credits to graduate in four years.