Academic Advisement Vision and Mission, Values and Goals
To empower students to be active, responsible learners who take full advantage of the many opportunities the university provides in the areas of academics, research, and community and global engagement.
At the University at Buffalo (UB), academic advisors are dedicated to teaching students how to access essential information and acquire the skills to make well-informed decisions that will lead to the achievement of their educational, career and life goals.
Undergraduate academic advisors are committed to providing quality, holistic advisement services that meet each student’s unique needs. In partnership with colleagues across campus, the academic advising community is devoted to establishing an environment that supports student recruitment, retention and success.
Our goals are to assist students to:
- Make a successful transition to the university.
- Develop an appropriate academic plan for timely graduation based upon their demonstrated academic abilities, personal interests, and expressed goals.
- Engage in an exploration of career goals related to their personal interests and area of study.
- Continuously assess academic progress towards meeting their stated goals, clarify potential avenues to reach those goals, and make appropriate adjustments as necessary.
- Engage in experiential learning, research, and creative activities designed to complement their overall undergraduate experience and career preparation.
- Utilized campus resources and support services.
- Understand and take responsibility for knowing university policies and procedures, including the importance of adhering to deadlines.
- Recognize the relationship between academic progress and financial implications.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will know whom to contact for academic advising help.
- Students will know the requirements for their major.
- Students will know the requirements for the UB Curriculum (or general education).
- Students will understand the requirements for acceptance to their major.
- Students will know academic support resources available to them.
- Student will understand course loads necessary for timely progress toward their degree.
- Students will know how to register for classes.
- Students will utilize HUB tools for planning (AAR, WHIF, Planner, etc.).
- Students will pursue opportunities that help them in reaching their goals.
Last updated: March 01, 2021 9:11 am EST