Transfer Students

for Course
Placement (AP) or
Prior College Credit
FAQ for New

Preparing for Course Registration

Your academic advisor will contact you to discuss your plans and help you to devise a class schedule. Each advising unit has its unique way of connecting with new transfer students, so wait to hear from your advisor (usually by phone or email).

See the Orientation website and the Course Registration Process/Timeline Chart for the specific course registration process for your advising unit.

Who is My Advisor?

Academic advising at the University at Buffalo is delivered through a network of professional advising centers. Students are assigned to an academic advising unit/advisor based upon their major and special population affiliation if applicable.

Exploratory students or students who have not selected a major will be advised by the Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center.

To locate your academic advisor visit your MyUB HUB Student Center - Academic Progress tile or use Navigate. You can also locate your advising center by using the Advising Directory.

How Can I Best Prepare for Working with My Advisor?

Most importantly, respond to any communications from your advisor and complete any supplemental materials/assignments that your advisor may require.

If You Have Advanced Placement (AP) Credit

Some students will enter UB with Advanced Placement (AP) credit; this credit may count toward a UB degree, or, in some cases, credit toward major and UB Curriculum (general education) requirements.

AP Credit Reminders

  • Official transcripts from the College Board must be sent to UB. Use school code 2925 to distinguish UB (SUNY Center Buffalo) from Buffalo State (SUNY College Buffalo).
  • To avoid any duplication of coursework, tell your advisor about your AP credit as it may affect the courses you registered for in your first semester.
  • Transfer students must have their original score sent to UB from the College Board. UB will not accept scores from a previous institution.

Previous College Credit

It is important that you tell your advisor about any college credit you have earned. Your advisor will need to know the school, course name, and number for all college-level credit completed.

To obtain an official transcript of your college credit, contact the registrar’s office at your previous college(s) to send an official transcript to or:

  • Office of Admissions
  • 12 Capen Hall
  • University at Buffalo
  • Buffalo, New York 14260-1660

Electronic versions of your transcripts are strongly recommended. A separate official transcript must be received from each institution you previously attended.

Transferring Course Credit from a SUNY School

Students who are transferring SUNY courses to UB and wish to appeal the transfer credit evaluation and course equivalencies awarded by UB may utilize the SUNY Transfer Appeal Process.

The UB Curriculum is a unique program of general education for all undergraduate students at UB. Serving as the core academic experience, it celebrates the joy of intellectual discovery and prepares students for life, career and citizenship in a diverse and dynamic world. Visit the Undergraduate Catalog and select UB Curriculum (General Education) for more information.

Your academic advisor will recommend courses for your first semester at UB. This recommendation is based on your major and any coursework you have transferred to the university. After speaking with your academic advisor you will register yourself for classes using the HUB Student Center via MyUB.

MyUB is UB’s online portal for students that contains links to many UB tools, resources, and services, such as UBmail, the UBlearns course management system, and the HUB Student Center. You will need your UBIT Name & Password to access MyUB.

The HUB Student Center is accessed from a tab on MyUB. The HUB Student Center is an online one-stop shop for students. It provides access for students to register for classes, check their grades, request transcripts, manage their finances/financial aid, maintain their personal information, and much more.

Before Registering for Classes Review the Following Information:

To graduate on time and maintain eligibility for financial aid, students need to complete at least 30 credits a year (15 credits a semester). If you have any questions about registration, contact your academic advisor.

Once You are Registered for Classes:

As a registered UB student, you are financially and academically responsible for the courses in which you are enrolled. If you find that you will not be able to attend UB this semester, please contact your academic advisor to ensure that your courses are dropped. You should also make sure you cancel your enrollment in any other campus services (housing, dining services, etc.) Please consult the When You’re Not Enrolling at UB Checklist for guidance.

What if I am not sure yet what I want to major in?

If you are exploratory (undecided) about your major, it is important that you work with your academic advisor to plan a course of study that will help you choose. Please be aware that:

  • General/liberal studies is not a major at UB.
  • To be making academic progress, maintain eligibility for financial aid, and stay on track toward timely graduation, students with 60 or more credits need to have an approved major.
  • Majors vary in the number of credit hours they require and length of time they take to complete regardless of your class year or already completed credits.
  • Upon choosing a major, especially if you are changing your major, you should complete a detailed academic plan with your advisor.
What is the difference between declared (intended) and an accepted (approved) major?

A declared or intended major is a major that you would like to pursue. An accepted or approved major is the status of a student who has been formally admitted to a major.

Use the Undergraduate Catalog and select Program Requirements (center of page) to learn about the majors available at UB. Review department’s web pages to learn courses needed, minimum grades, application deadlines, portfolio reviews or auditions, etc.

What if I have changed my mind about the major I indicated on my application?

If you decide that you are interested in pursuing a different major and have not completed the Orientation Data Form (ODF) yet, please indicate your major change on the ODF. If you have already completed the ODF and registered for classes, contact your advisor about the major change. Remember, courses are recommended based on your major. Your advisor will work with you to make any necessary changes to your schedule should your major change.

What is an Academic Advisement Report?

The Academic Advisement Report (AAR) is an advising tool that tracks your progress towards graduation by showing how courses taken meet graduation requirements at UB. You can generate an AAR from your HUB Student Center via MyUB. For instructions on how to generate and understand an AAR see Viewing your Academic Advisement Report.

How can I tell if UB has received all of the transfer credit from my former school?

The Transfer Credit Report (TCR) is an advisement tool that lists all incoming courses, credits, and grades along with UB course equivalencies. The TCR is used in conjunction with the Academic Advisement Report to track progress towards completing university degree requirements. For instructions on how to generate and understand a TCR see the Viewing Transfer Credit Report. If you have questions about how your transfer credit counts towards UB requirements, contact your academic advisor.

How do I register for classes?

Students register for classes using the HUB Student Center via MyUB. Step by step directions on how to register for classes are available on the HUB Support website, see the Register for Classes tutorial. Prior to registering for classes, students should consult with their academic advisor to discuss appropriate courses.

What if I change my plans and choose not to attend UB?

You must complete the Not Enrolling at UB form (PDF). If you believe you will be able to enroll at UB for a future semester, please contact the Office of Admissions. They can retain your application for entry at a future time.

If you are enrolled for courses and then choose not to attend UB, be aware that there is a deadline date for dropping courses without financial penalty in each semester. Refer to the Student Calendars to see the deadline date for the semester you are enrolled.

Last updated: November 01, 2023 9:48 am EST

University at Buffalo Academic Advisement Vision Statement: To empower students to be active, responsible learners who take full advantage of the many opportunities the university provides in the areas of academics, research, and community and global engagement.