Student Veterans

All students are assigned an academic advisor based on their major or special program affiliation, if applicable. Students can view their advisor in Navigate or via the HUB Student Center. A complete listing of advising offices by major can also be found by using the Advising Directory.

It is recommended that all students meet with their academic advisor at least once a semester and whenever they need assistance. In addition to all of the information you find on the Undergraduate Academic Advisement website, the information below is specific to the needs of student Veterans.

Get the Credit You Deserve

Credit for United States Military Training/Education

A major benefit for students is the granting of university credit for military training and education. The university will consider experiences gained while in the military, provided that the American Council on Education has completed an official evaluation. The Council publishes a Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. This guide contains a description of the coursework or experience, and statement of recommendation (or non-recommendations) of credit.

What kind of coursework can be considered for credit?

In determining whether credit should be awarded, the following are taken into consideration:

  • The level of college/university credit which has been recommended. No credit is awarded if the recommendation is at the vocational/certificate level. Baccalaureate level courses are required.
  • Appropriateness of the coursework to the university’s degree programs.
  • Whether the experience duplicates any other courses for which the student has received credit.
How do I get my coursework records evaluated?

The evaluation of records is for currently enrolled University at Buffalo students. The process for requesting evaluation is as follows:

  1. Students must electronically submit the Joint Services Transcript. Information about submitting the transcript can be found on the American Council on Education/Service Member and Veteran Resources/Transcripts for Military Personnel website.
  2. After the Joint Services Transcript is submitted the University is notified and the coursework/experience is evaluated.
  3. If coursework/experience is eligible to receive credit the student’s Academic Advisement Report will be updated within 10 to 15 business days to reflect the credits. Students can access their Academic Advisement Report in the HUB Student Center via MyUB.
  4. Students should email if there are questions regarding the evaluation of their military coursework/training.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) offers the opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know; qualifying scores on CLEP exams is required. CLEP offers 33 exams and Veterans can use their G.I. Bill tuition benefits toward the cost of the exam. Review CLEP Military Benefits to learn more. CLEP exams are offered by Buffalo State College, Continuing Professional Studies department.

For more information about who is eligible for CLEP benefits visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a Veterans Affairs Office at UB?

Yes, Veteran Services assists university student veterans.

I am in an Army National Guard unit, can I receive credit?

Yes, all military personnel including Active, Reserve, National Guard, and Veterans can receive credit.

How many credits will I receive?

Students can receive a maximum of 60 credits. The number of credits awarded depends on the course recommendation according to the American Council on Education guides.

Can the credit be used to fulfill major or UB Curriculum (General Education) requirements?

No, the credits are used as free electives toward graduation and cannot be used to fulfill any degree requirement.

How can I get a copy of military education courses completed?

If you are on active duty you can request a copy of your Joint Services transcript. If you are currently in a National Guard or Reserve unit, a copy can be obtained from your personnel officer.

Can I receive credit if I only have attended Basic Training?

Yes, submit a copy of your Joint Services transcript for evaluation. As you complete more training you can submit updated documentation for additional credits.

Student Veterans Club

Offer weekly meetings each semester. Join us on

The Office of Veterans Services

The office of Veteran Services provides a variety of services for student veterans including information about benefits, the VA Work-Study Program, and opportunities to connect with other UB students with military experience.

Last updated: February 24, 2022 7:01 am EST

University at Buffalo Academic Advisement Vision Statement: To empower students to be active, responsible learners who take full advantage of the many opportunities the university provides in the areas of academics, research, and community and global engagement.