Freshman Resources

for Course
Placement (AP) or
Prior College Credit
Using the
After You Are
for Classes
FAQ for New

Academic Planning and Registration

Your academic advisor will register you for some of your first term classes. For each term thereafter, we give you the tools to register on your own. Between now and the beginning of the on-campus orientation conferences you can expect to be contacted by your advisor. Each advising unit on campus selects their own outreach method for registering new students:

  • Some advising offices will contact you to schedule an in-person or phone appointment;
  • Others may reach out by mail or email to review your interests and develop your class schedule

Be sure to watch for and respond to any communications you receive.

Who is My Advisor?

Academic advising at the University at Buffalo is delivered through a network of professional advising centers. Students are assigned to an academic advising unit based upon their declared or approved major (in a professional school or the College of Arts and Sciences).

Students who have not selected a major will be advised by the staff in Student Advising Services.

Students enrolled in the programs below will be served by their unique program offices, these students will also have access to advisors within their chosen major area:

To locate your academic advisor see the HUB Student Center, Advisor Channel (PDF) or use the Advising Directory.

How Can I Best Prepare for Working with My Advisor?

Most importantly respond to any communications from your advisor and complete any supplemental materials/assignments that your advisor may require.

If You Have Advanced Placement (AP) Credit

Some students will enter UB with AP credit; this credit can count towards a UB degree or in some cases credit towards major and UB Curriculum (general education) requirements.

AP credit reminders
  • Official transcripts from the College Board must be sent to UB. Please use school code 2925. Please be sure to use this code to distinguish UB (SUNY Center Buffalo) from SUNY College Buffalo (Buffalo State).
  • In some instances new students will not know their AP score when they speak with an advisor for course registration. It is important that you contact your academic advisor when you find out your AP scores, as it may affect the courses you are already registered for in your first semester.
  • Transfer students must have their original score sent to UB from the College Board. UB will not accept scores from a previous institution.

If You Have College Credit

Some students will transfer credits earned at other accredited colleges or universities to UB. It is important that you tell your advisor about any college credit you have earned. Your advisor will need to know the school, course name, and number for all college level credit completed.

To obtain an official transcript of your college credit contact the institution’s academic records or registrar’s office. These official transcripts should be sent to:

  • Office of Admissions
  • 12 Capen Hall
  • University at Buffalo
  • Buffalo, New York 14260-1660

Transferring Course Credit from a SUNY School

Students who are transferring SUNY courses to UB and wish to appeal the transfer credit evaluation and course equivalencies awarded by UB may utilize the SUNY Transfer Appeal Process.

The university online Undergraduate Degree & Course Catalog is a resource that will help you research majors and courses at UB. The catalog contains information about UB’s majors, degree requirements, UB Curriculum (general education) requirements, and academic policies. In this section we will introduce you to a few components of the catalog.

From the catalog’s homepage you will find a navigation bar that includes Academic Programs (majors), Policies & Procedures, and Course Search.

UB Undergraduate Catalog Homepage
  • Academic Programs: View a complete listing of all the majors available here at UB, along with course descriptions.
  • Policies & Procedures: This leads you to information on University Degree Requirements, Finish in Four Curricular Plans, among many topics.
  • Course Search: Use this feature to search UB courses.

Academic Programs

Under the Academic Programs tab you will find a listing of all of the University at Buffalo’s degree granting programs, along with non-degree granting and special programs. You will be able to review this list of one-hundred plus majors and look at ones that are the most interesting to you.

UB Undergraduate Catalog Academic Programs

When you click on a department link you will find the following information: overview, about the program, degrees and policies, courses, and careers. Pay particular attention to the Degrees & Policies section link which contains information about:

  • Acceptance Criteria: This section tells you which courses you need to complete to apply to the major and what grade point average you need to earn.
  • Required Courses: This section lists all of the courses required for the degree. The list can include courses from other departments.
  • Finish in Four Sequence: This section contains the Curricular Plan or recommended sequence of courses to help you complete the degree in four years.

The Courses link leads you to a listing of the courses offered by the department. The course information is displayed like the example below for a Psychology course:

UB Undergraduate Catalog PSY 101 Course Description

In the course description above you see the department abbreviation for Psychology (PSY), the course number (101), the course title (Introductory Psychology) and the course type (Lecture). You also see the number of credits for the course (3) and the semesters when the course is offered. If Prerequisites (courses that must be completed prior to taking this course) or Co-requisites (courses that should be taken along with the course) apply to this course you will also see them listed.

Course Search

Under the Course Search tab you will find two search options, you can search using a department abbreviation or a search term.

UB Undergraduate Catalog Course Description Search

Using the Course Search we typed in "gender" and below is a listing of some of the results we received. Notice that the search results list classes by department abbreviations (i.e., AS is for Asian Studies and ENG is English ).

UB Undergraduate Catalog Course Description Search Results

This type of search will assist you in identifying your academic interests and connecting your interests to majors.

The new UB Curriculum (General Education) Requirements will start with the incoming freshman/transfer class of fall 2016, students enrolled before this date will complete the previous general education requirements.

The UB Curriculum is a unique program of general education for all undergraduate students at UB. Serving as the core academic experience, it celebrates the joy of intellectual discovery and prepares students for life, career and citizenship in a diverse and dynamic world.

Once You Are Registered for Classes

  • Go online to see your class schedule in the HUB Student Center via MyUB (UBIT Name & Password required). Your advisor will also mail you a copy of your schedule along with the Your Academic Schedule brochure.
  • Review the Understanding Your Class Schedule Tutorial. The tutorial contains a sample schedule with explanations to help you understand how it works.
  • If you have any questions about your schedule contact your academic advisor. Contact information for your advisor is typically in with your schedule brochure. If you are not sure who to contact use the Advising Directory to locate your advising center.

As a registered student at UB, you are financially and academically responsible for the courses in which you are enrolled.

If you will not be able to attend UB this semester:

What is Finish in 4?

Finish in 4 is an initiative to help UB students complete their four year degree in four years! It is UB’s commitment to provide students with the resources and guidance needed to achieve this goal. New freshman are encouraged to take the Pledge to Finish in 4 upon enrolling at the University. Review the Finish in 4 website for more information.

How do I sign up for Finish in 4?

Look for the “Finish in 4” question on the Orientation Data Form. This is how new freshmen (entering in the fall term only) can opt to take the Pledge. Please be sure to first review all information on the Finish in 4 website and discuss any questions you may have with your advisor. If you do not take the Pledge on the Orientation Data Form and decide later that you wish to do so consult with your advisor.

What classes will I take my first year?

A typical freshman schedule is made up of courses that fulfill major or UB Curriculum (general education) requirements. To graduate, students need a minimum of 120 credits consisting of requirements from their major, UB Curriculum, and electives. New students typically take approximately 15 units a semester. Some majors require more than 120 units.

What is a major?

A major is a focused concentration in one area of study. Major requirements vary from 31 to 85 units (credits) or more, depending on the field and degree chosen. Many majors have introductory or prerequisite courses — from two to 10 courses — that must be completed before acceptance into the major.

What if I don’t have a major yet?

Don’t worry. Many students are undecided at this time in their college experience. After reviewing your record your advisor has helped you select courses that meet the UB Curriculum (general education) requirements. These courses will help you discover your academic interests.

Note: If you are transferring to UB with 60 credits or more, it is highly recommended that you be accepted into a major, talk to your advisor right away.

What is the UB Curriculum (general education)?

The UB Curriculum is a unique program of general education for all undergraduate students at UB. The new UB Curriculum will start with the incoming freshman/transfer class of fall 2016.

How does my advisor know I’m ready for a particular course?

Placement is based on the following criteria:

  • Writing — SAT/ACT/AP scores and/or previous writing course experience
  • Math — SAT scores and previous math course experience
  • Foreign language — previous language course experience
What if I took Advanced Placement (AP) courses?

Have the College Board/ETS send your scores to UB — and be sure to tell your UB advisor, because this may affect your course selection. Review How to Request Official Score Reports for Exam Credit or contact the College Board for further information.

What if I’ve taken college courses?

If you’ve taken or are currently taking college-level courses, tell your advisor and have an official transcript sent to the UB Admissions Office. Review Forward Your Transcripts for further information.

Why don’t I have the same schedule as my friend?

Class schedules are designed to meet each student’s individual interests, needs, and abilities, and to fulfill different UB Curriculum or major requirements. You may not take the same required courses at the same time as your friends.

What if I change my plans and choose not to attend UB?

You must complete the Not Enrolling at UB (PDF) form. If you believe you will be able to enroll at UB for a future semester, please contact the Office of Admissions. They can retain your application for entry at a future time.

If you are enrolled for courses and then choose not to attend UB be aware that there is a deadline date for dropping courses without financial penalty in each semester. Refer to the Student Calendars to see the deadline date for the semester you are enrolled.

Last updated: January 11, 2017 2:31 pm EST

University at Buffalo Academic Advisement Vision Statement: To empower students to be active, responsible learners who take full advantage of the many opportunities the university provides in the areas of academics, research, and community and global engagement.